- 1 bitter gourd – remove the seed and pulp inside, slice lengthwise and then slice again into fine pieces
- 1 onion – sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons roasted red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted pepper and cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon jaggery or sweetener
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice (a very thin concentrate)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried chillies – break into halves
- Pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
Heat a little oil, add mustard, dried chillies add curry leaves and hing. Once the spluttering eases a little, add onions, pinch of salt and fry until golden brown and soft. Add the bitter gourd, all the spice powders, salt to taste, jaggery and tamarind water (add less to start with, you can tweak it later of need be). Cover the pot with a lid, and cook until the bitter gourd is tender.
Remove the lid, add more oil, crank up the heat and keep fry the mix until the masala darkens and dries up. Serve with rotis or rice. Enjoy!