Most people would be familiar with dried chickpeas or canned chickpeas, but there is another variety available. Fresh or green chickpeas. In Melbourne, we get them at Indian Grocery Stores, usually frozen.
This afternoon I had a serious hankering for Chole, but I didn’t plan ahead and hadn’t soaked any chickpeas. So I thought I’d make the next best thing and I pulled out the bag of frozen chickpeas I had stashed in our freezer. So here it is, Green Chickpea Curry, I served it with Kulcha, and it was a hit!
(a) Pressure cook until soft – (green chickpeas take only a couple of minutes to cook)
- 300 grams of frozen or fresh green chickpeas
- 2 tomatoes or 1 cup of canned tomato
- 1 green chilli
- half onion – don’t slice
- 1 potato – peeled, cut into 4
- 3 cloves of garlic – peeled, left whole
- 2 pieces of ginger
- 3 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon roasted red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Water – enough to all of the above
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- Pinch of hing
(c) To finish:
- 1/2 onion – sliced finely
- 3 green chilliest – cut lengthways
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur
- 1/4 teaspoon pomegranate seeds (grind into fine powder)
- Pinch of roasted pepper and fenugreek powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander – chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon juice
Once ingredients (a) is cooked, discard the ginger pieces, scoop out the potato, onion, any large bits of tomato, garlic and about half the cooked green channa. Blend this into a paste in a food processor and add back to the gravy. Set the pot without a lid on a low flame, let it simmer and thicken.
In another pot, heat ghee, add bayleaf, cinnamon stick, hing, cardamom and cumin. Add ginger and garlic paste, add this mix to the channa mix as it boils.
Heat oil again, fry onions with a pinch of salt. Add green chillies, fry until onion is soft. Add to the boiling mixture along with all the other ingredients in (c).
Once channa is thick, serve with roti or rice. Enjoy