Easy recipe when you’ve got guests coming over and you want to serve finger food that will impress them.
- 400 grams of raw peeled prawns
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs of your choice (I use dried coriander or parsley – add a mix of any spice or herb you fancy, there are no rules really)
- 2 teaspoons water
- Oil – enough for deep frying
- Lemon wedges to serve
Slice down the back of each prawn, be careful not to slice all the way through. You should be able to open the prawn up and tuck the tail of the prawn into the cut. This way you get a flat piece of prawn, and the tail acts as a handle.
Beat the egg and water together in a bowl. Mix salt, herbs and spices with breadcrumbs on a plate. Pour out the flour into another plate. Heat oil in a pot.
Dip prawns into flour and dust off. The flour will ensure that the prawns are dry and that the egg and breadcrumbs stick well. Dip prawns into egg. Dip prawns into breadcrumb mix, pat the breadcrumbs in well, make sure they cover the whole prawn.
Drop into hot oil, fry until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, serve with lemon wedge on the side.
For the Chilli Mayo, you’ll need:
- ½ cup store-bought mayo
- Chilli sauce – as much as you like
- Hot Sauce or Tabasco – as much as you like
Mix the sauces, taste. Serve with any finger food – Enjoy!