This is my mum’s signature Chicken Kurma Recipe. It’s incredibly easy to whip up and I rely on it when we have unexpected guests.
Chicken Kurma is also really tasty and it’s easy to control the amount of chilli that goes into it. So you can have it as spicy or as mild as you like. Serve with Ghee rice or naan.
- 1.5 kg Chicken Drumsticks (Skin removed, make deep gashes into the flesh of the chicken)
- 1 ½ cup natural yogurt
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds
- 8 green chillies (less or more as you prefer)
- 1 bunch fresh mint (1/2 bunch for marinade, 1/2 bunch for garnish)
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper (more if you prefer)
- ½ lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods (lightly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
In a blender, puree yogurt, white pepper, mind, chillies, cashew nuts, poppy seeds, ginger and garlic into a fine paste. Marinade chicken in this mixture overnight.
To cook the chicken, heat ghee, add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, ginger and garlic paste. Stir well, once ginger and garlic starts to brown, add the chicken mixture with all the marinade with salt to taste. Cook, covered on low heat until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove lid of pot, and let kurma continue cooking and thicken. Finish off with a squeeze of lemon, and mint leaves.