Meatballs are fun to eat and keep really well in the fridge or freezer. Whenever you cook them, make lots of extras and freeze them in ziplock bags. A quick sauce and dinner is ready. As a bonus, every one thinks you’ve been slogging over them for hours.
For the meatballs you’ll need:
- 500 grams mince meat
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (I used a mix of regular and roasted)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried pizza mix herbs
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 small white onion (blended)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Carmelina explosive mixture (available at Leo’s Supermarkets)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying (I use Rice Bran)
Mix all of the above except oil. Form mince into small balls, heat oil, fry meatballs evenly on both sides until cooked through. Remove from oil and set aside. Once cool, meatballs can be frozen.
Fry a small ball first to check for seasoning. If it tastes good, fry the rest.
For the pasta sauce, you’ll need:
- 1 large white onion (blended)
- 2 cloves garlic (blended)
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Carmelina explosive mixture
- 1 bottle Arrabiata Sauce
- 1 bottle Passata
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt to taste
- Water (as needed)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Red chili flakes
Use the same pan as the one you used to fry the meatballs. You might to pour out some of the excess oil though. Heat pan, add butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic paste and stock powder. Add sugar and pinch of salt and 1/2 cup water. Stir well and cook slowly. Keep adding water as required. You don’t want to brown the onions, just cook until the rawness is gone.
Add Carmelina mixture and cook for about 2 minutes. Add Passata and Arrabiata sauces with 1 cup water. Stir well. Add ketchup and basil leaves, stir well. Cover pot and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. Add meat balls, cook covered for further 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook pasta as per instructions on packet, serve in a bowl. Pour sauce over pasta, sprinkle cheese and parsley on top. Add chili flakes to taste. Enjoy!