I came across this recipe on youtube and could hardly wait to try it. It’s really easy and super tasty. As usual, I’ve made a few changes. One of the major changes is using gingelly oil instead of regular oil. My granny has always told me to use gingelly oil when frying tomatoes and/or onions. The oil helps remove any ‘rawness’ and adds maximum flavour.
Did I listen to her? Nope..it took me this long to finally pay heed. Trust me, the difference was amazing.
The onions and tomatoes cooked beautifully. The end result was also fantastic.
(a) You’ll need:
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1 large tomato – chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar or sweetener
- 4 green chillies – halved
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled, blended into a paste
- 2 inch piece garlic – peeled, blended into a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hing
- 3 tablespoons gingelly oil
(b) You’ll need:
- 500 grams cleaned prawns – remove shell
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
(c) You’ll need:
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander – chopped finely
Heat gingelly oil, add hing, ginger and garlic paste. Fry well. When fragrant, add salt, sugar, chillies, onion and tomato. Fry on medium heat until the onion and tomato is soft. Add ingredients (b) except prawns.
Fry on medium heat, until oil separates from rest of ingredients. Add prawns, stir well. Cook until prawns are cooked through and gravy thickens.
Remove from heat, add lemon juice and coriander, stir well. Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!