Came up with this a couple of nights ago, we don’t have much groceries left and I couldn’t be bothered driving out to stock up the fridge. So the ingredients may sound a little strange, feel free to substitute as necessary.
- 1/2 kilo peeled frozen prawns (I don’t bother to thaw them)
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes (sliced) – or replace with same amount of regular tomatoes
- 1 small white onion – sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic flakes – or replace with fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 fresh green chilis (slit in half)
- 3 teaspoons spicy fish masala powder (I use Baba’s)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (I use Priya brand)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add onions and a pinch of salt. Cover pot and cook until onions are soft and golden. Add grated ginger, garlic flakes, stir well. Add tomatoes and green chilies cover lid and cook until tomatoes break down. Push mixture to side of pot, add a little more oil. Add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds start to crackle, add cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves. Stir well.
Add turmeric powder, fennel powder, coriander powder and fish masala powder. Stir well. Add more oil if the powders start to stick. Add tamarind paste and taste. Season with oil as necessary. Add prawns, place lid back on pot and simmer until prawns are cooked through. Enjoy with rice or roti!