This is a great recipe when you’ve forgotten to thaw out any meat for dinner. It’s so quick and tasty that you’ll start to ‘forget to thaw out the meat’ more often. The recipe requires very thin pieces of meat. This is good as you’ll get more flavour into the dish and the beef is also tender.
If you don’t thaw out the meat you’ll have a solid chunk which means you’ll be able to shave the chunk of beef into very very thin slices. I would recommend that you use the ‘slicer’ attachment on your food processor and just feed the meat through. However, if you don’t have access to a food processor (ours has died on us), you can do what I do and slice it by hand.
If you decide to do it by hand, you’ll need a few items:
- a very sharp and sturdy knife
- a wet cloth under your chopping board (you want that board STUCK to your bench, one slip and you’ll lose your fingers)
- a wet cloth to hold the frozen meat (holding a frozen piece of meat for 20 minutes is no fun)
- keep kids out of the way
- keep ‘I-can-do-a-better-job-than-you’ husbands out of the way (yes, I speak from experience)
Press the edge of the knife on the side of the beef and saw downwards. Repeat process until you land up with very thin slices of meat.
- 300g of shaved beef (we used a couple of frozen steaks)
- 4 tablespoons Kikkoman hot ‘n’ spicy teriyaki marinade sauce
- 2 tablespoons Ayam Satay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or sweetener
- 2 small chilies (chopped finely)
- 2 shallots (sliced finely)
- 1/4 cup white wine or stock
- 1/4 frozen green peas
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 large red chilli (sliced finely on an angle)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons oil
Marinade beef in Kikkoman sauce, Satay Seasoning, garlic powder, grated ginger and garlic. Set aside for as long as you can (I aim for at least 10 minutes).
Arrange shredded cabbage on a plate and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan, add onions, sugar and salt and slow cook until dark and sweet. Add chopped chillies and stir well. Add wine and peas to de-glaze pan. Cook the alcohol out. Turn up the flame and let the pan get very hot. Add beef and stir fry until cooked through. Serve beef over shredded cabbage. Garnish with sliced chillies. Enjoy!