These prawns are similar to my pepper crabs, really easy to prepare and super tasty. If crabs are difficult to find in your area, definitely try these recipes with the prawns. I used tiger prawns in this recipe and left the skin on. Just make sure to de-vein the prawns before cooking.
- 1kg of cleaned prawns
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the sauce you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 inch piece ginger – slice into thin matchsticks
- 3 cloves garlic – sliced finely
- 2 red chillies – sliced finely
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 kaffir lime leaves – cut into half
- 2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman hot and spicy marinade
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup coriander – chopped finely (reserve some of the nicer leaves for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup water
Heat oil and butter in a large pan and fry off the prawns batch by batch until the shell turns pink. Set prawns aside.
To prepare sauce, heat butter and oil. Add ginger, garlic, chillies, curry leaves, kaffir lime leaves and fry until fragrant. Add black pepper and fry again for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring so that pepper doesn’t burn. Add Kikkoman sauce and Oyster sauce, add chopped coriander. Add water and stir well.
Add prawns, place lid on the pot and cook until prawns are cooked through. Then remove lid, crank up the heat and keep stirring. Make sure the pepper mix coats the prawns well. Stir for about 5 to 10 minutes. The pepper will start to catch on the bottom of the pan and also go a little crispy. You want this as it adds flavour. Stir well, garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy!