Mangy and I are absolutely addicted to rosemary. I’ve been very lucky to have a friend at work who grows masses of rosemary, she’s been keeping me well-supplied!
This savoury muffin recipe caught my eye and I’ve been dying to try it out. I’ve made quite a few changes though, so I don’t know how my recipe stacks up to the original. Having said that, the version I made was pretty darn good. For someone who shouldn’t be eating white flour, I’ve inhaled 4 of these in a row *gasp*!
You’ll need (for vegetable filling)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon frozen corn kernels
- 1 asparagus (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pasta sauce (any tomato based sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 stem of rosemary (save the leaves for the batter – see below)
You’ll need (cheese):
- 100g marinated feta (chopped into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
You’ll need (sift together):
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30g milk powder
- 1 tablespoons fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 200ml water
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
Heat a small pan, add butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add chopped onion, rosemary stems, pinch of salt and sugar. Cook until soft. Add corn, asparagus and tomato sauce. Cook until it thickens, add garlic powder. Stir and set aside to cool.
To the sifted flour mixture, add all the ingredients. Do not over mix batter. Scoop batter into cupcake liners or muffin trays. Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy!