This is a great recipe to use up leftover bits and pieces. Half an onion? Some lonely mushrooms? Leftover pasta sauce? Everything goes in and the end result is an absolute delight! There are really no rules, just add whatever you’ve got, the only thing you might have to buy are the capsicums.
For my version you’ll need:
- 300 g kofte meat mix (or use regular mince or some spicy sausages, just remove the casing)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced finely)
- 4 red capsicums (cut the tops off and clean out the insides. Don’t waste the top, dice them up and add to the filling)
- 1/4 cup zucchini (diced)
- 2 mushrooms (diced)
- 1/2 cup eggplant (diced)
- 2 asparagus (remove ends and chop finely)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 and a half cups passata (or pasta sauce)
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine (or use stock or water)
- 1/2 cup water for the sauce
- shredded tasty cheese and mozzarella
- salt to taste
- pinch of sugar
Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Arrange capsicums on a baking tray.
In a saucepan, heat oil, add bay leaves, onion, salt and sugar. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and fry until garlic softens. Add zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus, capsicum and white wine or water. Stir well. Cook until vegetables are soft. Remove half the vegetables and blend with 1/2 cup of the passata. Don’t blend it too smoothly, just enough to make a chunky paste.
In the same pan with the remaining vegetables, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley and the mince meat and fry until brown. Add 2 tablespoons of the blended vegetable mix. Taste the mix and season accordingly. Fill each capsicum to the top with the mince meat mix.
Once the sauce pan is empty, add the rest of the blended vegetables, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley and 1 cup of passata. Add 1/2 cup of water to thin the sauce.
Pour this sauce into the baking tray, make sure to pour some sauce over each filled capsicum. Place a piece of aluminium foil over each tray and bake for about 40 minutes.
Once the capsicum is cooked through, remove tray from oven and sprinkle cheese over the top. Grill until the cheese is golden brown.
Scoop up some of the sauce from the tray and pour over each capsicum. Drizzle some olive oil on top. Enjoy!