I absolutely love palak paneer, unfortunately we didn’t have any paneer in the house last night and I wasn’t in the mood to make some. So I thought I’d try palak chicken instead. It turned out really well and would definitely be a repeat dish in our house.
- 300g baby spinach
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 1 large white onion (sliced finely)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods (crushed lightly)
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Granny’s tokku paste
- 2 green chillies (slit in half)
- 1 heaped teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 500g boneless chicken (diced)
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried methi (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Pinch of sugar
Bring water to a boil, add vinegar. Drop the spinach in and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain spinach and blend with fresh coriander until smooth.
Heat oil in a pan and fry onions with a pinch of salt and sugar until golden brown. Blend until smooth.
Heat ghee in a pan, add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and fry until fragrant.
Add onion paste, ginger garlic paste, tokku paste, green chilies, turmeric, coriander powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Stir well, add chicken and stir well. Close pot and cook until oil separates from the mixture and the chicken is cooked through.
Add spinach paste, crushed dried methi and stir well. Check for seasoning.
Before serving, drizzle cream on top, garnish with extra coriander leaves. Serve with rice or roti, enjoy!