This recipe came about one day when I was trying to clear out my fridge. It requires so little effort and time that I’m a bit embarrassed about calling it a recipe!
- 6 baby eggplants (remove stem and cut into circles)
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup tomato (de-seed and puree)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a fry pan and fry eggplant on both sides until golden. Remove and set aside. Pour out some of the oil leaving only about a tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add ginger garlic paste. Stir well and add tomato puree.
Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Keep stirring until paste thickens and the oil rises to the surface. Add salt and eggplant. Stir on low heat for about 5 minutes. Make sure eggplant slices are well coated. Serve with rice or roti. Enjoy!