Mangy and I have been pretty crooked lately and we haven’t been eating very well. I’ve especially missed my mum’s chicken soup and finally gathered the strength (and courage) to try my hand at making it. A quick phone call to mum for the recipe and in 30 minutes I had lunch ready. It’s not as good as mum’s but still pretty close.
You’ll need (2 to 3 portions):
- 1/2 chicken on the bone (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (I prefer to use the very centre of the celery bunch – leaves and all)
- 1/2 carrot (chopped finely)
- 1 small potato (peeled and chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup corn kernals (mum will sometimes cut up a full corn cob into smaller pieces and throw that in)
- 3 oyster mushrooms (entirely optional, I added them as I had some lying around in the fridge – they were great as they soaked up some of that soup)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 2 inch piece ginger (sliced thickly, you want to be able to pull them out later)
- 1 teaspoon meat masala powder (I use Baba’s brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Hot water
- Oil (I used olive oil)
Heat a little oil in a heavy bottomed pot. Once hot, add cinnamon and bay leaf and fry till fragrant. Add all the vegetables (except mushrooms) and lower heat. Cook on a medium low heat for about 10 minutes until vegetables are soft. You don’t need to colour them, just sweat them.
Add meat masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder, white pepper, salt and stirr well. Add chicken and cover with hot water. Place lid on pot, simmer on a low flame for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove lid and skim off any scum. Stir well, check for seasoning. Add chopped coriander and serve with rice or bread. Enjoy!
If you’re not feeling too sick and can be bothered, or have a lovely mum fussing over you – remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and ginger pieces before serving. You could also pull off the chicken meat and discard bones.