I saw this recipe ages ago on telly and have been dying to try it. I finally gave it shot last night and it was awesome. I added cashew nuts and raisins just to cut through the bitterness of kale and I thought it worked really well. My version below:
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 bunch of kale (I used purple kale, but green is fine – remove stems and tear up leaves into small pieces)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 large cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped roughly)
- 1 red onion (sliced finely)
- 2 red chilies (sliced)
- 2 bay leaves
- Paprika to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Oil (I used chili infused oil)
- 1/2 cup stock or water
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Season chicken drumsticks with salt and paprika and set aside.
Heat a small dutch oven on the stove top. Add oil, then brown the chicken on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add more oil if needed. Add bay leaves, garlic, onion, chilies and stir well. Add potatoes and stir well.
Add kale and water or stock. Stir well until kale starts to soften. Add more paprika if you wish. Place chicken drumsticks on top. Cover with lid. Bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!