Kipfler potatoes have a really lovely taste and extremely creamy texture that taste especially good in rich stews. I decided to try using them for the famous Malayalee Ishtu and the result was incredible! I won’t be going back to regular potatoes now.
- 6 Kipfler potatoes (diced – leave the peel on)
- 1 medium onion (chopped finely)
- 4 green chilies (sliced in half)
- 1 inch piece ginger (peeled and chopped finely)
- 2-3 drops lime/lemon juice
- pinch of sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- white pepper powder to taste
- oil as needed
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup water
In a pressure cooker, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the cooker. Once hot, add onions and green chilies and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft (not browned). Add ginger and continue stirring until fragrant. Add potatoes and water.
Cover and pressure cook until soft. Once the potatoes are cooked, mash roughly. You do want some of the potatoes to be left whole and some mashed to thicken the gravy.
Add coconut milk and boil on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Add coconut cream, sugar and lemon juice and boil for further 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat, add white pepper powder, chopped coriander and a little water if the gravy is too thick. Allow to stand for 5 minutes and then serve with idiyappam or idlies. Enjoy!